Once you are ready to go out and volunteer, the key to having a good experience is YOU! While the organization you are volunteering with is certainly responsible for your overall experience, your attitude and behavior will determine just how rewarding the experience is.
So, here are my top 10 tips on how to be a good volunteer…
1. Show up — once you have signed up to serve, follow through, as they are counting on you
2. Be on time — your time is valuable and so is that of the other volunteers and staff members, so be there at the time they set
3. Be flexible — be willing to do what is asked, even if it’s not the most fun task
4. Be positive — remember, this should be a great experience, not a punishment
5. Come prepared — bring any required paperwork, supplies, etc. that are needed
6. Learn and follow the rules — know age limits, dos & don’ts, photography limitations, etc. beforehand and stick to them
7. Communicate any special needs ahead of time — let them know if you need to leave early, have limited abilities, etc.
8. Dress the part — wear attire appropriate for the type of service you are doing and keep in mind the group with whom you will be working
9. Remember, it’s not about you — you are serving, not being served
10. Have fun!